CAN Europe zoekt Campaigns Officer - Trade and Corporate Accountability (m/f/x)
Climate Action Network (CAN) Europe is Europe's largest coalition working on climate and energy issues. With over 180 member organisations in more than 38 European countries – representing over 44 million citizens
CAN Europe is also the regional node of Climate Action Network, the world’s largest environmental network with over 1,700 Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) active in more than 130 countries, driving collective and sustainable action to fight the climate crisis and to achieve social and racial justice..
We're currently seeking a committed and motivated campaigns officer with demonstrated experience in climate & social justice movements to work with us on trade and corporate accountability topics. The individual will contribute to the work of the Trade and investment team under the supervision their line manager. The position is full time and preferably based in Belgium (in person presence recommended - teleworking possible).
Required skills and experiences:
● University degree or equivalent qualification preferably in Political, Social, Economic sciences or related field
● 3 to 5 relevant professional experience in economic justice related work, bringing in intersectional, climate justice, decolonial and feminist perspectives;
● Good knowledge of EU institutions and processes,
● Excellent level of written and spoken English;
● Excellent communication skills with movement or coalition building experience to help us build and maintain our network;
● High level of motivation and the ability to execute complex tasks within deadlines.
● Ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders, to update and deepen knowledge, and to integrate new practices
The ideal candidate will preferably have some of the following attributes:
● Demonstrated commitment to social & climate justice and alignment with the mission, the modes of action, and the values of CAN Europe;
● Experience in campaigning with coalitions, networks of NGOs or grass roots movements; ● Working knowledge on corporate accountability and due diligence;
● We don’t require you to know the ins and outs of trade and investment agreements but knowledge and passion in this area is expected.
●Experience with grassroots social & climate justice movements in the Global South and decolonial understanding of just transitions.
● Strong Project management skills;
● Additional European languages are considered an asset.
This position will focus on campaigning on trade issues, corporate accountability and due diligence.
Tasks will include:
● Developing campaign materials, writing policy briefs and reports, media outreach and organising actions and networking building.
● External communications: You ensure that our activities are noted in traditional and social media. You also write articles for our blog and website and reach out to external stakeholders.
● Campaigning and coalition building networking: You look ahead at upcoming moments and figure out how to make best use them to reach our campaign objectives. You maintain and grow our campaign network with a view to integrate new partners and keep existing ones involved.
● Internal communications: You keep our wide network of campaign partners and member organisations informed about upcoming campaign moments and ensure they have all the tools at hand they need to maximize our impact.
With this opportunity, we offer:
An open-ended contract, full-time or 80% of a full-time equivalent, with flexible working hours and the possibility of teleworking.
This position is preferably based in Brussels but it is also open to applicants from the European Union or those already in possession of a residence and a work permit. We are not considering sponsoring visas this time.
Remuneration is based on our Belgian salary grid and adapted to the cost of living on location.
If the position is based at our head office in Brussels, we will offer a Belgian open-ended contract with an expected salary of between 3.450,00 € and 3.650,00 € gross/month depending on the relevant years of experience (from 2 to 5 years) and subject to Belgian tax; Meal vouchers (7,00 €/day); transport costs; eco vouchers (250,00 €/year); sport and culture vouchers (100,00 €/year), phone allowance (39,00 €/month); work computer.
In other cases, it will be a consultancy contract or an employment contract, depending on opportunities on location, with a remuneration based on our Belgian salary grid, adapted to the local cost of living.
More about us:
We are an open and inclusive, multicultural, multilingual team and explicitly encourage applications from all applicants, independent of their age, ancestry, colour, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.
How to apply
Please send an email with your CV and a Motivation letter explaining how you fit the job profile for this specific position, both written in English, to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Important: Subject line must be "Application: Trade and Corporate Accountability Campaigns Officer".
Interviews will be conducted in English.
Closing date for applications: Sunday 24th of September 2023.
● First round of Interviews on 2nd of October 2023 (online)
● Second round of interviews on 9th of October 2023 (online)
The expected start date is as soon as possible
This position was first advertised on 29th of August. All applications will be reviewed after the closing date has passed.
For any questions regarding this position, please contact:
Audrey CHANGOE, email@example.com